Hello guys, welcome back to my blog. In this article, I will discuss electric car working, benefits of an electric car, types of electric cars, components of the electric cars, etc.
If you require an article on some other topics then comment us below in the comment box. You can also catch me @ Instagram – Chetan Shdilding
Also read – Different Types Of Batteries.
Electric Car Working, Benefits, Types, Components
The demand for electric vehicles or cars is increasing day by day. If you are from an engineering background then you must know the working of electric vehicles. If you don’t know about the electric vehicle then don’t worry, in this article, I will discuss it with you.
Benefits Of Electric Vehicle
- No noise, smell, and vibration.
- No hand crank, no gear to change.
- No backfiring, quick start.
- Compared to the heat engine, the electric motor is far more efficient.
- Regenerative braking is present in EV’s.
Types Of Electric Car
01. Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs)
- It is powered by an electric motor and engine.
- Conventional fuel is used by internal combustion.
- Both regenerative braking and engine will charge the battery.
- The electric motor makes the engine a small and better fuel economy.
02. Plug-In Hybrid Electric vehicles (PHEVs)
- It is also powered by an electric motor and engine.
- In this type of vehicle also, the conventional fuel is used by internal combustion.
- Outside electric power source, regenerative braking and engine will charge the battery.
- Long trips need the engine and during urban driving, most power comes from stored electricity.
03. All-Electric Vehicles (EVs)
- It is powered by an electric motor.
- Electrical energy is stored in a battery that powers the motor.
- The battery is charged from the charging station.
- No air pollution.
Electric Car Working
The mains components in the electric vehicle:
- Electric machine
- Battery pack
- DC/DC converter
01. Electric motor
The electric motor is like a heart in an electric car. The power to the motor is supplied by the battery. In electric cars, the most common motor used is BLDC motor, induction motor, etc. The electric motor is responsible for vehicle movement.
02. Battery pack
The energy is stored in the battery pack which is further supplied to the motor. In electric cars, the lithium-ion batteries are used. The battery pack is built from series and parallel combination of the lithium-ion cells. Batteries are usually placed in the rear of the vehicle under the floor of the trunk or under the rear seat. The wiring harness from the batteries usually runs below the floorplan of the vehicle about one foot in from the driver’s side of the vehicle.
The purpose of the inverter in an electric car is to convert the dc supply into ac supply if the car has an induction motor. If an electric car has other motors like BLDC then there will be some other converter like a buck-bost converter. The speed of the motor is also controlled by this circuit.
The charger is a point where the energy is supplied to the battery pack from the charging station.
05. DC/DC converter
The electric car also has 12v lead acid battery, to charge that battery a dc/dc converter is required. Suppose the battery pack voltage is 24 volts, the dc/dc converter step-downs the 24 volts voltage to the 12 volts to charge the 12 volts battery.
These are some main components in electric cars.
Companies Making Hybrid Vehicle
- RX 400h SUV
- GS 450h
- LS 600h L
- Mariner SUV
- Ram – contractor’s edition
08. General motors
- Silverado and Sierra
Hybrid Cars In India
- Toyota Prius
- Honda Accord Hybrid
- Toyota Camry
- MG Hector
- Suzuki Ciaz
- Suzuki Swift
- Suzuki Ertiga
- Mahindra Scorpio Intelli Hybrid
Also read – Lithium-ion Battery Working, Construction.
I hope this article may help you all a lot. Thank you for reading.