Hello guys, welcome back to my blog. In this article, I will discuss what is transmission system in the car, what is manual transmission system in an automobile, what is automatic transmission system in an automobile, working of the manual transmission system, working of an automatic transmission system, the difference between the manual transmission system and automatic transmission system, etc. Each and everything I will try to explain in a simple way.
If you require an article on some other topic then comment us below in the comment section. You can also catch me on Instagram – Chetan Shidling.
Also read article of future scope of VLSI.
Every vehicle requires a transmission system. The function of the transmission system is to provide different ratios of speed and torque. By operating the transmission system, the driver can change the speed and torque of the car. The transmission system is operated manually or by automatic. There are almost many types of the transmission system is available but many cars used nowadays is of the manual transmission system and automatic transmission system.
Purpose of the transmission system?
a. It must provide varying gear ratios.
b. It must provide a reverse gear for moving vehicle in the reverse direction.
c. It must provide a neutral or disconnecting arrangement so that the engine can be uncoupled from the wheels of the vehicle.
In this article, I will discuss only the manual and automatic transmission systems.
What is the manual transmission system?
When the driver presses the clutch and changes the gear level depending upon the speed then it is called a manual transmission system. In the manual transmission system, the changing of gear ratios from first gear to last gear is did by the driver.
What is the automatic transmission system?
In the automatic transmission system, the changing of gear level is done automatically without the involvement of the driver. Sensors and ECU’s are used to detect the speed of the car to change the gear.
Working of a manual transmission system?
The manual transmission system consists of a driver-operated clutch. Gearstick is used for changing the gear level. Based on vehicle speed the driver operates the gearstick.
During the first Gear
Input Shaft (orange) is connected to the Engine. The silver color is countershaft. Output shaft (yellow) is connected to the drive shaft. Gear gets locked to the shaft with the “sleeve”
•S1/S2 = N2/N1
•S is speed and N is the number of teets.
As you guys can observe the above images of different gears. By changing gearstick, the gear ratios are changed by the driver. The manual transmission system has more noise. Here the driver effort is required.
- Differences Between Electric Car and Diesel car, History, Components
- Difference Between Diode and SCR (Silicon Controlled Rectifier)
- Power Engineering, Definition, Scope, Companies, Job Profile, Salary
- Different Types Of Filters Used In Electronics And Electrical Devices
- Differences Between The Clipper Circuit And Clamper Circuit
Working of an automatic transmission system?
As we all know that the changing of gear level in the automatic transmission system is done automatically without the involvement of the driver. To change the gears, sensors are used to determine the speed of the vehicle. The automatic transmission system consists of a torque converter that will change the gear ratio.
The automatic transmission system consists of a planetary gear set. The parts of the planetary gear set are; ring gear, sun gear, planet carrier, and planet pinion.
Two or more planetary gear will be connected to the shaft. During first gear, only one sun gear will rotate, during second gear, first planetary sets both sun gear and ring gear will rotate and for third, fourth gear two or three sets will rotate. Well, guys watch a video which is provided so that you can understand the concept clearly.
Difference between manual and automatic transmission systems?
01. In the manual transmission system, changing of gear level is done manually by driver whereas in the automatic transmission system, changing of gear level is done automatically.
02. In the manual transmission system, the gear system produces more noise whereas automatic transmission systems, there is no noise pollution.
03. The gearstick is there in a manual transmission system whereas in automatic transmission system stick is present to change modes(neutral, reveres, park, etc).
04. The manual transmission system has gearstick with first gear, second gear, third gear, fourth gear, neutral and reverse. The automatic transmission system has four modes such as drive, reverse, neutral and park mode.
05. The manual transmission system requires more maintenance. The automatic transmission system requires less maintenance.
06. The automatic transmission system based car is good for a long drive with girlfriends and it is also good during traffic. The driver should regularly change gear during traffic in a manual transmission system..
07. The manual transmission system is cheap compared to the automatic transmission system vehicles.
08. The manual transmission system offers more control for drivers whereas the automatic transmission system does not.
09. The manual transmission system consists of a clutch whereas automatic does not.
10. Due to pressing gears regularly, the legs of the driver get pain in a manual transmission system whereas in automatic, there is no clutch.
I hope this article may help you all a lot. Thank you for reading.