Hello guys, welcome back to my blog. In this article, I will discuss different types of batteries, advantages of all kinds of batteries, disadvantages of all kinds of batteries, applications of all kinds of batteries, etc. Each and everything I will try to explain in a simple way.
If you want an article on some other topics then comment us below in the comment box. You can also find me @ Instagram – Chetan Shidling.
Also, read – Working of lithium-ion cell
Different Types Of Batteries, Advantages, Disadvantages, Applications
Types Of Batteries
Nowadays, batteries play a very important role in industry, colleges, schools, hospitals, etc. to provide energy to the loads during a power cut. The type of batteries used is Lead-Acid, Nickel Cadmium(Ni-Cd), Nickel-Metal Hydride(Ni-MH), Lithium, and Lithium-ion.
Advantages of Lead-Acid Battery
- It is one of the oldest rechargeables batteries.
- It is Rugged.
- It is safe, so used for domestic applications.
- The cost of a lead-acid battery is low.
- Good over a large temperature range.
Disadvantages of Lead-Acid Battery
- It has low specific energy.
- It has a limited cycle life.
- It does not like full discharges.
- It must be stored with sufficient charge.
- The lead-acid battery produces gases, needs ventilation.
Applications of Lead-Acid Battery
- It is used in Vehicles.
- It is used in boats.
- It is used in UPS.
- It is also used in cars.
- It is used in wheelchairs.
Advantages of Nickel Cadmium(Ni-Cd)
- It is Rugged.
- The Nickel Cadmium battery is durable.
- It is good cold temperature performance battery.
Disadvantages of Nickel Cadmium Battery
- Cadmium is toxic.
- It is prompted regulatory restriction
Applications of Nickel Cadmium Battery
- It is used in Aircraft main battery.
- It is used in UPS in cold environments
- It is also used in vehicles needing a high cycle life.
- In power tools (not in consumer products).
Advantage of Nickel-Metal Hydride(Ni-MH)
- It has a 40% higher specific energy than NiCd.
- The Nickel-Metal Hydride is mild toxicity.
Disadvantages of Nickel-Metal Hydride(Ni-MH)
- It is not as rugged as NiCd.
- It is more difficult to charge.
Applications Of Nickel-Metal Hydride(Ni-MH)
- It was used in hybrid vehicles but now it is being replaced with Li-ion battery.
There are two types of Lithium Batteries:
- Lithium (metallic)
- Lithium-ion (intercalated lithium compound)
Advantage Of Lithium Batteries
- Have higher energy and power density when compared to most battery chemistries.
- Self-discharge is very slow.
- The theoretical voltage of 4.1V.
- The energy density of 400 Wh/L.
- The energy efficiency of 80%.
- The power density of 800+ W/L.
Disadvantages of Lithium Batteries
- Lithium can be corroded, which results in a loss of active material.
- Lithium plating, generally caused at low temperatures or voltages cause a loss in lithium.
- Very high initial cost.
Applications Of Lithium Batteries
- Oil drilling
- Mobile phones
- Power tools
- Electric powertrains
I hope this article may help you all a lot. Thank you for reading.